Personal Training

Personal Training 101

When people ask me what I do for a living and I tell that I’m a personal trainer, I get some blank stares. Sometimes people confuse this with working the desk at a gym, and other times with something else altogether!

Personal Training 101

What is a personal trainer?
Think of a personal trainer like a one-on-one coach. They are there to help you with fitness and potentially other aspects of wellness. They are there to help you develop an appropriate fitness program to meet your goals, whether that be to lose weight, increase muscle mass, or do you first unassisted pull-up.

What should you expect?
During your first session, you will likely fill out lots of paperwork and answer lots of questions about your fitness, exercise, and medical history. All of this information helps your trainer develop an accurate picture of you and any potential challenges, say for example a past ankle surgery. You should be candid and upfront about this information as well as your goals.

In your first workout session, you will likely be performing exercises that are part of a fitness assessment. These may include push-ups, sit-ups, bench press, and some cardiovascular exercises.  The reason that I always conduct a comprehensive fitness assessment with new clients is to determine baseline fitness levels. This ensures that I can build an appropriate fitness plan based on your aerobic fitness and strength. As part of this initial assessment, we will discuss fitness plans and programs, exercise preferences, and goals.

How often will you meet? For how long?
This depends on the trainer and if applicable, the gym. Typically I recommend 2-3 sessions per week. Sessions can last anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour.

When can I expect to see results?
That is entirely up to you! And here is why – let’s say you meet with your personal trainer 3 times per week for 45 minutes each. That represents about 2% of your time that week. The other 98% is all about your choices and decisions. That includes additional exercise, typically cardio, and healthy eating choices. You can work your tail off in your personal training sessions but if the rest of your days are sedentary and filled with poor food choices, it will be hard to be successful. Like I repeat almost daily, “fitness is a lifestyle.” It isn’t just your personal training sessions, it’s 24-7. That being said, if you start making healthy choices and commit to them, you will be successful!

Do you have other questions about personal training? Feel free to leave them in the comments and I will be happy to share my thoughts.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s